Bathrooms and kitchens sell homes. Our goal is to recreate a spa-like experience to Buyers so they would feel attracted to it. You don’t have to spend a fortune to create the illusion of a spa. With Patricia’s advice and these well-kept secrets, you will increase your chances to get top dollar when selling your home.
STEP 1 – FIXINGS AND PAINTING
Even if your home is a little dated, you want your Master bathroom to look as fresh as you can…
- Remove soap grime, mildew and calcium residue from showers.
- Fix leaky or dripping faucets.
- If a faucet is dated or weathered, replace it with a new mother one.
- Replace the caulking around the tub, shower and sink to make the bathroom look clean and fresh.
- Paint the walls with a NEUTRAL semi-gloss. Ask Patricia for advice on colours.
- If cabinet hardware is dated or weathered, replace knobs and pulls.
- If your light fixtures are rated for 100-watt, replace the bulbs with WHITE 100-watt.
- If the light fixture/fan is dated, replaced.
STEP 2 – CLEANING
- Clean the bathroom from top to bottom. It should sparkle and radiate cleanliness.
- Remove the covers from light fixtures and exhaust fan, wash, dry and replace.
- Remove prescriptions from the medicine cabinet, and any other personal items you don’t want a buyer to find and store this stuff in a safe place.
- Throw out worn, frayed, or outdated rugs and towels.
STEP 3 – STAGING
Everything you use for staging would depend on the size of your bathroom. You don’t want to clutter the vanity or make the room feel overcrowded. Less is better. Think simplicity. Think minimalistic. Think fresh.
- Get rid of dated or worn blinds and replace for simplistic (white) new ones. We want the bathroom to have as much light as we can.
- Replace your old towels with fluffy light coloured towels (white preferably) & rugs.
- Shower courting: Replace it with a white one or a neutral elegant one.
Accessories to use (the amount, size and positioning, would depend on your bathroom). Ask Patricia for advice:
- Candles in various sizes
- Green plants
- Wall decor
- Small water fountains
- Scented soaps
- Glass containers filled with cotton balls or Q-tips
- Elegant creams, liquid soaps or bath salts.
- Sea sponges and bath brushes
TIP: Do you want to make your bathroom look more expensive and elegant? replace the mirror with a framed one!
- Let the light in (open windows and turn on the lights)
- Hide all your personal stuff (shampoos, toothpaste and brushes, etc.)
- Make the bathroom smell amazing
- Always put down the toilet seat
- Always make the bathroom sparkled
- Present your bathroom in the same way you would like to see it in your new home
For more advice and home staging information contact Patricia today!
Ottawa’s 2018 spring market update We wanted to update our clients and readers about the situation of the real estate market in Ottawa because it is VERY COMPETITIVE at this time. The market conditions have changed this year because of low inventory levels...read more
HOME STAGING First impressions make a significant impact on a buyer's decision-making process! Home Staging allows us to highlight the best features of your home and de-emphasize its flaws. It's about turning your home into a model, to appeal to the...read more